Job opportunities for nurses in Cardiff PICU
All new members of nursing staff coming to our unit are supported by an individualized package "tailored to your needs"
These currently include
- A comprehensive competency based orientation package aimed at staff that are new to paediatric intensive care.
- Development programmes for all grades of staff which includes a directorate wide Clinical Management Programme.
- Secondment to undertake Paediatric Intensive Care or children's nursing qualification
- Opportunities for study at degree or masters level
- A structured multidisciplinary training programme including retrieval and haemofiltration
- Ward based support from the Paediatric Development Nurse, specifically employed to PCC
We also provide a comprehensive training programme for all staff and work in partnership with Universities in England to undertake Paediatric Intensive Care training. We are always looking at innovative training opportunities. This year we have provided a significant component of the Paediatric Intensive Care Course which is run and affiliated to the Birmingham City University. A member of our senior nursing team is an Honorary Lecturer with UCE and has facilitated a satellite programme provided in Cardiff. This has enhanced links with, Birmingham City University. reduced travel and provided additional local tutorial support for our staff.
If you have an interest in paediatric intensive care and are not child trained do not be put off as we do employ registered nurses with Intensive Care experience that wish to retrain to change to the speciality of paediatrics. We advise against newly qualified staff applying to PIC as we recommend six months experience once qualified in a general paediatric area first.
For further information regarding an informal visit or an information pack please contact Fiona Thomas on 02920 746423/4748 or email